PROTECTS: Multidisciplinary Service Preparing Capacity Reports in a Timely Manner in the Austin Metro Area
What is PROTECTS?
PROTECTS is a program staffed by a multidisciplinary team who completes capacity evaluations for potential guardianships in the Austin, Texas, area. The team includes certified guardianship professionals, experienced care managers, and a skilled neurologist. Our team physician is a board certified neurologist with fellowship training in Behavioral Neurology, Neuropsychiatry, and Neuroimaging. He is the only fellowship trained Behavioral Neurologist in active clinical practice in the region. His clinical interests are Alzheimer’s disease and other cognitive disorders, head injury, and neuroimaging. He has both academic appointments in psychiatry and neurology at UT Austin and is an associate professor of neurology at Texas Tech School of Medicine. Our team works with attorneys, families, physicians, trust officers, and court systems. If you need a comprehensive capacity report in a timely manner, reach out to us at (512) 814-3228 or info@arrangeCARE.com.
P: Physician Driven
T: TEAM of multidisciplinary professionals
E: Evidence-Based Evaluation
S: Seniors and other at-risk individuals
The Physician’s Certificate of Medical Evaluation is an important part of the evidence needed to determine guardianship. Courts rely on the Physician’s Evaluation to make their decisions on appointing a guardian or restoring rights. A well-considered, thoughtful evaluation is necessary. Ideally, the evaluation process should provide the Physician with a holistic, person-centered perspective. That’s what we do at arrangeCARE with our PROTECTS program. The program operates on these principles:
- P: Physician Driven and Person-Centered: Our Physician considers the whole person as presented in the assessments completed with the client and their family.
- R: Respectful: Our clients are people, not a diagnosis. Our interactions reflect the respect that your loved ones deserve.
- O: We work within an organized process so that you may receive efficient, easy to understand reports.
- T: Multidisciplinary team: arrangeCARE staff includes a neurologist, an Advanced Clinical Practitioner of Social Work, a Master Guardian, and a Registered Nurse.
- E: Evidenced-Based Evaluations: Our staff use evaluation tools that are recognized as “best practices.”
- C: Compassionate: That’s who we are. Each arrangeCARE team member brings decades of thoughtful and effective work with people in need.
- T: Thorough: Our evaluation includes a thorough review of medical information, social history, and non-medical review of cognitive skills.
- S: Seniors and other at-risk individuals. Our clients are adults who are at possible risk for abuse and exploitation. We work with older adults as well as persons with disabilities.
What services does PROTECTS provide?
- PROTECTS is a program that assesses possible incapacity through a multidisciplinary approach.
- PROTECTS looks to minimize the exploitation of persons who may be incapacitated.
- PROTECTS is a resource to help protect the rights of the vulnerable person, as we look for the least restrictive alternatives to guardianship, looking at the supports and services in your community.
- PROTECTS can be invaluable when supporting a person through a rights restoration process by providing accurate and current assessments.
- PROTECTS includes a person-focused social history. Using the tools provided by the National Guardianship Association, a trained arrangeCARE staff person provides a non-medical evaluation for the need for guardianship. The assessment process includes a thorough review of possible supports and services. The assessments and obtained medical records will be sent to our agency’s neurologist for review. The doctor will meet with the client for evaluation, using the Texas Physician’s Certificate of Medical Examination (PCME) as a primary tool. The physician will write a thorough report of his findings, to include a completed PCME. arrangeCARE’s team of professionals will give you a comprehensive report that will provide guidance for you, and trusted evidence, for the Court, with the goal of making the best care decision possible.
arrangeCARE serves the needs of elders, persons with disabilities, and their families in the Austin, Texas, metro area.